Nowadays feeling down, sadness, overreacting to many things, and having a loss of interest in daily life activities are familiar feelings for all among us. But when it affects our lives significantly then the issue may be depression. In one sentence, depression is a disorder of mood which involves a constant feeling of sadness and a loss of interest. It’s completely different from the mood fluctuations we face in our daily lives. If you are facing stress for a long which can be a contributing factor in the development of depression and anxiety. There’s always arise a question that can a person have both anxiety and depression at the same time? The question is like which comes first the chicken or egg. But it’s not that much complicated, commonly depression and anxiety occur together but one can experience them separately as well. They both have their own symptoms maybe there is some overlap.
Some signs of depression:
· Feeling of sadness
· Feeling of hopelessness.
· A loss of interest in activities.
· Having trouble sleeping.
· A number of times feeling exhausted.
· A big change in appetite.
· An unexplained physical pain that always occurs internally.
· Have a feeling that small tasks take extra effort.
A significant difference exists between sadness and depression. Sadness is a natural emotion faced by individuals when they are under stress or in unhappy circumstances. You may call yourself sad or having a bad day. But when the level of stress is persistent on a day-to-day basis and somehow influences and interferes with your lifestyle, it is a serious depression problem.
Some signs of anxiety:
· Constant worrying (that’s sometimes not proportional to what’s actually going on).
· Overthinking in each and every activity.
· Obsessing over situations
· Can’t have a proper decision in any situation.
· Fear of losing.
· Inability to relax.
· Feeling of restlessness.
· Trouble in focusing.
There is now also a distinction between worry and anxiety. It's okay to think about stuff like tests or career development from time to time. But when it begins to become constant and all aspects of one's life are hidden. Then maybe it's something bigger. It can have significant effects on your health if you are facing a prolonged state of stress and anxiety.
Types of anxiety disorder depression:
· Generalized Anxiety Disorder, GAD is an anxiety condition known to cause persistent anxiety, exaggerated anxiety, and stress, even though it is triggered by little or nothing.
· Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, OCD is a condition of anxiety and is identified by persistent, intrusive thoughts or repetitive behaviors. With the intention of avoiding obsessive thoughts or making them go away, repetitive activities such as hand washing, counting, searching, or cleaning are frequently carried out.
· Panic disorder is an anxiety disorder that is identified by sudden and frequent episodes of extreme anxiety followed by physical symptoms that can include chest pain, palpitations, breathlessness, etc.
· Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, PTSD is an anxiety condition that may develop after exposure to a frightening incident or ordeal in which significant physical damage has occurred or has been jeopardized. Aggressive personal attacks, injuries, etc. can be caused.
· Social Phobia or Social Anxiety Disorder, an anxiety disorder is recognized in daily social settings by overwhelming anxiety and constant self-consciousness. It can only be limited to one type of situation, such as fear of speaking in formal or informal circumstances, or eating or drinking in front of others, etc.
( National Institue Of Delhi)
Causes of anxiety and depression:
· A loss or death – It's natural that sadness from death or loss of loved ones may cause a risk of depression and anxiety.
· Abuse – In a past life, there could be a sexual attack or emotional abuse that trauma may turn into depression in later life. Nearly 30 percent - 40 percent of individuals suffer from issues with drug abuse that can cause severe depression. Even if medications or alcohol temporarily help the person feel better, depression will inevitably be exacerbated.
· Serious illnesses - Sometimes depression comes with a major illness or may be cured by another medical condition.
· Conflicts – when someone is having depression which may develop personal conflicts or disputes with friends and family members
· Genetics - A history of depression in a family may have a high risk of depression. Depression anxiety disorder genetics are like the other psychological conditions that are not easy as in solely inherited illnesses such as chorea of Huntington or cystic fibrosis.
Some major events – Events such as job loss, financial crises, relationship failure, divorce, retirement led to depression, not just because of positive events such as beginning a new job.
· or company, getting a chance to graduate, finding a new relationship or getting married can also trigger depression. The signs of depression and anxiety are not a natural reaction to a stressful life.
With grief do depression and anxiety occur?
A man will feel sadness and loss every day of life, but not everyone experiences anxiety and depression. Depression differs from depression, which contains several suicidal thoughts about the future, suicide, or low self-worth symptoms, whereas grief encompasses feelings of emptiness, sadness, and nostalgia for a loved one with an unbroken ability to feel joy. Others have the opportunity to come over and others are drained into anxiety and depression. Each has its own way of coping with these emotions.
Everyone understands that with medications and proper medical checkups, anxiety and depression can be curable. But without medications, it can also be curable. But don't quit your prescription medicines right now, both at first and then slowly begin to stop your prescribed medicines with doctor consultation.
Some tips to heal anxiety disorder depression without medicines:
· Find small ways to be of service to others – serve something larger than your self then you can find some personal meaning. Serve doesn’t have to be big to count. Remember “Success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue… as the unintended side effect of one’s personal dedication to a course greater than oneself.” – Viktor E. Frankl, Man’s Search for Meaning.
· Find some workable goals – Many of us feel hesitant to talk about our goals because they might not be feasible. Workable goals include: realistic for you, something that for you can be controllable, achievable and observable. If something goes wrong with your target, then just think of what you learned from it? Compared with the success of others, always remember that one thing does not equate your greatest weakness with the greatest strength of another person. Typically, we make this mistake, but it's the most unjust thing we do to ourselves.
· Stay in present – Try not to put self-judgments in your head while you engage in activities. Keep that thing aside and indulge yourself in that activity absolutely. You can face the issue of self-judgment at first, but when you fully engage yourself mentally and emotionally in the operation, it will slowly disappear.
· Have proper food and exercise and regular sleep – Doing a moderate physical workout for 20-30 minutes allows you to make your mood pop up. And for the rest of the day makes you energetic and involved. You need to pay attention to what sort of diet you can take to affect your mood. You still have to have your meals on time, which is the most necessary thing. Stop foods that are garbage. Have daily proper sleep, keep sleeping balance, don't sleep too little or too much. Don't stay up late at night, then you can face depression again the next day. Often, when your brain is half asleep, do not try to solve problems late at night.
· Relationships: Focus on people who lift you up – Sometimes communicating with people who grow you up (not people that bring you down). While spending some time alone is OK, find a balance and don't isolate yourself or the depression will continue.
(suicide prevention lifeline)
In recent times, depression and anxiety are common things. 42% of the population are facing this problem. Depression and anxiety are treatable, whether they occur together or separately. You just have to open up yourself and try to share this thing with your close ones. Don’t lose hope if you really want to rid of this disorder you have to fight strongly against it. You are the only one who has the power to overcome this disorder. Some helpline numbers are there which may help you-
· LIFELINE FOUNDATION (KOLKATA):
CALL: 033-24637401, 033-24637432
Timings: 10 am to 6 pm, Monday to Sunday
· HITGUJ Helpline (MUMBAI): 022-24131212
(24 HOURS HELPLINE, OPERATED BY KEM HOSPITAL IN ASSOCIATION WITH MUMBAI MUNICIPAL CORPORATION [ M.C.G.M])
· SUMAITRI: 011-23389090 (NEWDELHI)
Timings: 2 pm to 10 pm weekdays and Sat and Sun - 10 am to 10 pm
· KIRAN MENTAL HEALTH (GOVT) - 18005990019
Timings: 24hours, Government Helpline
(The purpose is to resolve the issues faced by the people experiencing anxiety, depression, stress, panic attack, post-traumatic stress disorder, adjustment disorder, suicidal thoughts, substance abuse, mental health emergency, and pandemic induced psychological issues)
(SUICIDE, DEPRESSION AND
STRESS PREVENTION HELPLINE NUMBERS)